Wednesday, 1 July 2009

A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to the Hospital....

You have no idea how great it is to be sitting here at my untidy desk, drinking a hot cuppa and tapping away on my laptop. The reason for my gratitude is that I had a 'funny turn' (to quote my ex-MiL) where I thought I was having a heart attack and ended up being rushed to hospital in a siren-blaring-lights-flashing-ambulance. It would have been fun had I not been feeling so ill. This was a similar incident to my recent episode of heart palpitations and chest pain, but it felt more serious. And more painful.

Earlier in the day I had gone to the hospital to bring my Dad home (who had been taken in on Saturday with an ongoing health issue...he's recovered now thankfully) and was driving home with my Dad, sister and Small Daughter in the car when I started to feel a tightness in my chest. I had been having some heart palpitations earlier on when I was at work, but hadn't been unduly concerned. But this felt different.
I managed to drive back to my Dad's house, and help my sister to get him out of the car and into his wheelchair before feeling the chest pain increase. I decided there and then to drive directly to the local health centre where my GP had said he would arrange an ECG if this was to happen again. I walked into the reception area with Small Daughter supporting me, because at this stage I was struggling to breathe, and promptly collapsed. I was aware of people shouting and SD crying 'Mummy, Mummy!' before I was put onto a wheelchair and a doctor started firing questions at me. The rest is a bit of a haze as I was trying to breathe, but the tightness in my chest was making it difficult.
Small Daughter - who was clearly distressed - was taken into the main office by the reception staff, who I later heard took good care of her until my ex-Mother-in-Law could be contacted ( she took care of both of my girls overnight) which was a weight off my mind. I took them a thank you card and a small gift today, they were amazing.
To cut a long story short, at the hospital I was prodded and probed by several people (I'm assuming they were all medical staff but who knows?!) had several blood tests, two ECGs, a heart monitor was strapped to me overnight, and I answered at least 2,000 questions about my medical history. The tests they carried out ruled out a heart attack, but it is probably a heart related issue which needs further investigation.
I was discharged from hospital yesterday, and will have to return for further tests. I feel fine now, just very tired and a bit shaken up. I'm still trying to process what happened, it all seems a bit surreal, but I do know it gave me a hell of a shock.

I'm off to do a bit of gentle gardening to help me to relax while I consider the lessons I need to learn from the last couple of days.
Update: I've just returned from an appointment with my GP who has advised me to take a few days off work. He is concerned that there is still a 'question mark' over what actually happened, so to be on the safe side he thinks I should take a few days to relax.


Yummy Mummy said...

Oh my dear friend I am so sorry. That must have been so unbelievably frightening. I can't even imagine how scared you must have been and still are. I am so glad that your family was able to step up and help you during your time of need. I hope you are able to soon find an answer to what is ailing you, and that the fix is easy and painless. You will be in my thoughts. Make sure you get some rest.

Jane said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your funny turn. And so glad to hear it wasn't a heart attack. At least you had a thorough going over although it must have been very frightening for you and your daughters at the time.
Take it easy and rest. I hope your ex know that he isn't allowed to put you under any stress.
Look after yourself.

Audi said...

How terrifying! I'm so glad you're feeling better and that you're home now. Take good care of yourself -- you're in my thoughts. xoxo

notSupermum said...

Yummy Mummy, thank you so much. It was pretty scary, moreso for SD I think who was very upset. I'll be resting for a few days now.

Jane, thanks for your concern. My ex actually rang the hospital to enquire after me, so I think he understands the situation. At least I *hope* he does.

Audi, thanks - it does feel very good to be home! There's nothing like a cup of homemade tea to boost the spirits.

Tessa, yes that's a concern. I'm hoping it will all turn out to be nothing, although 'nothing' was pretty scary!

lunarossa said...

OMG, so scary!!! Could it be something relating to this very hot and muggy weather? A lot of people are complaining about a tight chest (me included), breathing problems etc. Just have a good rest, try not to worry but get to the bottom of it! Wish you all the best. Ciao. A.

La Belette Rouge said...

Oh, honey! This isn't funny at all. I am so sorry you are going through this and that you are still unsure as to what is going on. Please listen to the doctor and REST. Please!!!! Sending big hugs to you.xo

Nicola said...

Oh this is so worrying. I am so glad you had such great help with the girls and hope they discover the issue soon, before anything quite so scary happens to you again. Sending you lots of healing, relaxing thoughts. xx

Kayleigh said...

OMG, hugs to you ((((((notSupermum))))))

Okay, you are SO not allowed to have any health crisis -- *I'm* the sick one, you must stop all this RIGHT now!

Good grief, how unbelievably scary...and as I read I wished I could just reach right thru the computer and give SD a hug, poor thing. Thank goodness for kind hospital staff and how sweet of you to even think of bringing them a thank you.

I agree w/all who say you MUST take it easy...altho this is probably nothing, better safe than sorry. Consider it a manditory vacation and try and enjoy the rest.

Thankfully it wasn't a heart attack, chances are what you have is simple and treatable once they figure it all out, so try not to worry too much. Did they mention if your oxygen level was good? That would be helpful for you to know, it would mean that whatever was going on wasn't actually depriving your body of oxygen...your heart was essentially working.

I have mitral valve prolapse which does cause palpitations but not anything like the severe symptoms you just experienced. Still, there are many heart conditions that while truly scary are actually not life-threatening -- even when they feel like it. Take comfort in that.

But don't let this go, either. Push until you get answers.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping that you get a nice little rest and learn that all is well.

PS: thanks for the lovely compliment on my comment to your fabulous poem :) You are a multi talented one, that's for sure!

That Girl said...

NSM... what a nightmare. You poor thing... Please please look after yourself. That must have been so scary for you and your girls. Its one thing when this happens but when its in front of your children it takes on a whole new meaning. Big love and hugs to you and I hope you find out soon what is going on and that you recover fast. xxx and smiles from me.

Sunday said...

Oh you poor thing! It's definitely your turn for 'the man with the oily rag', I'll send him round pronto!!

I hope you are truly taking a break, and enjoying all that work you've done in the garden. A perfect time to flop with a good book (and a glass of wine!) on that garden bench with a few cushions, and maybe practice some meditation or breathing from your retreat earlier?

It must have been terrifying for you, especially with your daughter in tow, as I imagine you would have been as concerned about her as she was about you. Years ago I had a similar experience (with my daughter in tow) which was diagnosed as tachycardia, and of no real concern, but brought about by stress at the time, even though I didn't think I was particularly stressed. I hope that it is nothing more serious for you; do rest, do accept offers of help, and do remember that you have a lot of followers here who care.

xx Sunday

Just Another Day Blog said...

I think we all want you back on track and feeling better and...wish you to take things easy!

Maybe I should send you some of my Happy Pills wrapped in Gold! ;O)

Please do take care and relax on these days you have off...


notSupermum said...

Antonella, I don't think the hot weather has helped anyone this week, but this is something that has been going on for a while. I'm hoping it's going to be identified and I can learn how to control/manage it better.

La belette, I have been doing some quality resting this week - honest! Reading, sitting watching daytime TV (mostly rubbish) and reading blogs. Thank you for your concern.

Nicola, thanks. I received a follow up appointment for the hospital today, although it's not until the 14th. Not sure what to do until then though?

notSupermum said...

Kayleigh - I am SO SORRY! I should have checked with you first before declaring my health scare! How inconsiderate of me!

I'm sure, as you say, it will be something that is easy to treat but I'm still a little shaken up by what happened.

Btw, SD would have loved that hug - she is a very sweet, very huggy girl - I call her the Huggy Monster!

Oh, and thank you for the comment on my compliment about your comment on my post.....if you see what I mean. Wonder how long we could keep this up?!

notSupermum said...

That Girl, thanks so much. Yes, SD was very upset by the whole thing and was fretting about it for a couple of days. Children always think their parents are indestructible don't they? It must be a shock to realise they're not.

Sunday - where is the man with the oily rag? I've been waiting for him! Send him 'round missus!

The last time this happened by GP thought it might be something called supraventricular tachycardia which sounds the same thing as yours (or similar), and I have been quite stressed recently so perhaps he's right. Just waiting for the follow up tests to find out more now. And thanks for the lovely comment.

Just Another Day...hello and thanks for leaving a message. Yes, send a big box of the happy pills! Ecellente!!