Kia Motors. I love the fact a car company is promoting walking to school instead of travelling by car!
Kia are encouraging this campaign in relation to the Kia Walk Bus campaign which was set up a few years ago to increase awareness of road safety and the environment. The walking bus scheme is a great idea for getting children to school safely and is well worth looking at, perhaps even setting one up for your school?
This also provides children with a healthy, educational and environmentally sound way of getting to school each day. On any normal school day an amazing 20 per cent of all traffic is due to the school run. Have a look at some of the facts and figures behind the campaign:
- Walking is great exercise – it helps to build up muscles including the heart as well as building bone density and improving all round health;
- Research has shown that walking to school in the morning is great preparation for the day ahead – kids arrive awake, alert and ready to learn;
- In the UK, the school run is responsible for more than two million tonnes of carbon dioxide per year, more than the total annual emissions of some small countries like Haiti or Guam.
- Driving the average school run for a year costs over £400 (based on approved mileage rates from the Inland Revenue)
- Obesity is now the second biggest cause of death after cancer (WHO 2001)
- In the European Union, inactivity is now a greater cause of illness than smoking (WHO 2002)
- 4 out of 10 boys and 6 out of 10 girls do not do the recommended minimum of one hour a day of physical activity (National Diet and Nutrition Survey 2000)